Filing tax returns can be a daunting task. There may be some sections that you might not be able to understand and filing the wrong returns can land you in trouble with the IRS. If you have even a single doubt about filing tax returns, it is always better to take the help of the experts.
Reeling in the Experts
There are many reputable enrolled agents out there that can help you file your taxes. Searching for genuine ones might require a bit of time and effort on your part. You first need to know what is an enrolled agent and how the services offered by them.
Enrolled agents are tax advisors that can help you with audits, tax planning, and filing for tax appeals with the IRS. These agents have unlimited representative rights, meaning they can represent either individuals or businesses on all matters related to taxes.
Enrolled agents can help you with:
- Tax planning
- Preparation and filing of your tax returns
- Help you navigate through complex tax laws
- Represent you in court while dealing with petitions or appeals
Now, when it comes to checking the legitimacy of your enrolled agent, you can look them up at the Better Business Bureau or have them verified by the IRS by sharing their name and enrolled agent number.
Difference between Enrolled Agents and CPA
Enrolled agents and Certified Public Accountants (CPA), though both are licensed professionals that can help you with your tax issues, there is a thin line of difference between the two. Some of the basic differences are as follows:
- CPAs can either be accountants, financial advisors, or auditors, enrolled agents are tax specialists who can help you with issues related to IRS
- CPAs can obtain licenses from any professional bodies in their state, whereas enrolled agents need to have a federal government or IRS license
When compared to other tax professionals, enrolled agents need to pass three parts of the Special Enrollment Exam (SEE).
Enrolled agents can help reduce your stress and hassles related to tax filings. They are well-versed with different tax codes and can easily help in filing your taxes properly.